Yes that’s right it’s now only 10 days until the opening ceremony here in Weymouth & Portland for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
There have been many, many improvements and changes along the way whilst we prepared to host the games, the seafront here in Weymouth particularly has seen lots of changes.
- The new Laser Lights
- The Sealife Tower
- The new Palm Trees
- Better sitting out facilities on the Esplanade
- The new deck chairs designed by local people and completely unique to Weymouth
- The new road infrastructure
And lets not forget all the wonderful events, and art projects that have already taken place as part of Maritime Mix (the Cultural Olympiad by the sea), such as:
- RedBall UK – 4 locations around the borough hosted Kurt Perschke and his RedBall and caused much discussion and excitement
- Sue Austin’s – Creating the Spetacle underwater wheelchair crossing of The Fleet.
and keep an eye out for Maritime Mix (Cultural Olympiad by the sea) events that are still yet to take place, keep a close eye on our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ChannelGuestHouse/) and this news blog for details of some of these events such as :
- Nowhereisland – An artic island that is coming to vist Weymouth bay and the Olympic Games, the only country to ever go to the games itself
- The Royal Geographic Society’s walk around the world.
- ICCI360 the famous 360 degree cinema dome from Plymouth University showing many different events including films about some of the arts and culture programmes mentioned above and in our previous news items.
- The Bay side Festival
There’s so much going on in and around Weymouth & Portland you should be here to help us take part, celebrate and enjoy it, we’d love to see you.